Welcome to the Germany Portal!
Willkommen im Deutschland-Portal!
Germany is one of the world's leading industrialised countries, located in the heart of Europe. It is bordered to the north by the North Sea, Denmark, and the Baltic Sea, to the south by Austria and Switzerland, to the west by France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg, and to the east by Poland and the Czech Republic.
Germany is a democratic federal parliamentary republic, containing 16 federal-states (Bundesländer), which in certain spheres act independently of the Federation or "Bund".
The Federal Republic of Germany is a member state of the United Nations, NATO, the G8 nations, and a founding member of what is now the European Union. It is the largest country in surface area in Central Europe. More...
The Cathedral of Magdeburg, officially called the Cathedral of Saints Catherine and Maurice (known as Magdeburger Dom in German) was the first Gothic cathedral in Germany and with a height of 99,25 and 100.98 m, it is the tallest cathedral in the former East Germany. The cathedral is in Magdeburg, the capital city of the Bundesland of Saxony-Anhalt, Germany, and is also home to the grave of Otto I the Great.
The first church built in 937 at the location of the current cathedral was an abbey called St. Maurice, dedicated to Saint Maurice. The current cathedral was constructed over the period of 300 years starting from 1209, and the completion of the steeples took place only in 1520. Despite being repeatedly looted, the Cathedral of Magdeburg is rich in art, ranging from antiques to modern art. More...
- History (Holy Roman Empire, Prussia, Nazi Germany, ...)
- Culture (Arts, Languages, Literature, Religion, ...)
- Companies - Tourism - Sports
- Society - Politics - Science and technology
- People (Politicians, Scientists, Musicians, ...)
Here are some tasks you can do:
- Requests: Leo Arons (de) , Marc Bator (de), Manfred Börner (de),, Otto Casmann (de), Kai Böcking (de), Wolfgang Büchner (journalist) (de), Chlorodont (de), Butz Combrinck (de)(needs references), Carl Diercke (de), Gustav Ehrhart (de), , Otto Frenzl (de), Jan-Ole Gerster (de), Ulrike von der Groeben (de), Thomas Hayo (de), Wolfgang Helfrich (de), Herrencreme (de), Otto Herzog (de), Barbara Köhler (de), Jordan & Timaeus (de) , Petra Krause (de), Lachsack (de), Walter Linderer (de), Mohr im Hemd (de), Dirk Müller (de), Katrin Müller-Hohenstein (de), Wilson Gonzalez Ochsenknecht (de), Hans-Jürgen Quadbeck-Seeger (de), German Archaeological Institute at Rome (de), Hans Sauer (de), Ricky Shayne (de), Paul Schmidt (inventor) (de) , Max Schwab, , Walter Thiele (de) Richard Vetter (de), Waldemar Voigt (aerospace engineer) Johann Philipp Wagner (de) Franz Xaver Wagner (de) Jürgen Wieshoff (de), Heinrich Wöhlk (de), Alois Wolfmüller (de)
- Copyedit: Germanisation,
- Wikify: Heinz Ansbacher, John Rewald, Marta Hegemann, Matthias Ungemach
- Unreferenced: add sources to Fort Breendonk, Unreferenced BLPs, Argengau, Bundesautobahn 93, Benjamin Trinks, High German languages, 1954 FIFA World Cup Final
- Cleanup: Steeler (German band), Dörte von Westernhagen,
- Expand: Wilhelmplatz, Literature of East Germany, DEFA
- Translate: Articles needing translation from German Wikipedia
- Disambiguation: German
- Stubs: Tegernsee (lake), Democratic Awakening, Frankfurt Cathedral, Albersdorf, Thuringia, Parlamentarischer Rat, Teck
- NPOV: Anti-German sentiment, German Visa Affair 2005, Germanisation, Germany – United States relations, 1939 German expedition to Tibet Peasant War
- Portal maintenance: Update News, Did you know, announcements, and suggest Selected article and picture
- Orphans: Orphaned articles in Germany
- Photo: Take/Add requested photographs
- Help assess the quality of 2,879 unassessed articles
Cascada - Glorious (Germany) - LIVE - 2013 Grand Final
Powered by http://www.eurovision.tv Germany: Cascada - Glorious live at the Eurovision Song Contest 2013 Grand Final.
Germany vs USA - State vs Bundesland
Standing in front of the Reichstagsgebäude in Berlin, Alex and Jim discuss some of the differences between the German Bundesländer and the American States. S...
Schuldenfreie Städte - Es gibt sie doch! | Made in Germany
Nur wenige Städte in Deutschland sind schuldenfrei. Langenfeld im Rheinland ist hinter Düsseldorf und Dresden die drittgrößte schuldenfreie Kommune. Das Beis...
The Mission - Live in Cologne, Germany
Derided by critics as pompous, melodramatic, and bombastic, the Mission, as they were known in their native U.K., nonetheless attracted a core audience of goth rock fans. The band was formed in 1986 by guitarist/singer Wayne Hussey and bassist Craig Adams, who both left the Sisters of Mercy to do so. (Hussey had also played with the Walkie Talkies and Dead or Alive.) The two soon recruited Artery guitarist Simon Hinkler and former Red Lorry Yellow Lorry dr.
Germany vs USA - Trains
Alex and Jim are on the train towards Berlin and talk about the Deutsche Bahn. Enjoy! Subscribe to Germany vs USA on YouTube http://bit.ly/GERvsUSA_Subscribe...
Germany vs USA - Work
Talking work - leave a comment with your experiences and your opinion. This is a video we produced a while back, new episodes will be coming this summer! Sub...
Apps of the World: Spain, Germany & France
Hitting top destinations from around the world, Michael Bancroft finds the best apps in App Central starting with Spain for the app 'iBarcelona', then German...
Bavaria - Germany
Best I can do folks. I'm still alive!
Soccer as an Economic Factor | Made in Germany
Bundesliga clubs made record profits last year, with a combined turnover of more than two billion euros. And in sporting terms they also went from strength to strength. Now two German clubs...
Berlin with a Tourist from Argentina | Discover Germany
Graciela Bloch from Buenos Aires shows us around some of Berlin's historic locations, including the old Tempelhof Airport. For more information and videos go...
Sat, 25 May 2013 06:37:24 -0700
His screams still echo in Omar's nightmares – even months after Omar returned from Syria to Germany. Omar is not his real name. The Syrian surgeon works in a clinic in a city in Germany whose name he wants to be kept secret. The man who calls himself ...
Sat, 25 May 2013 07:44:04 -0700
BERLIN, May 25 (Xinhua) -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang is scheduled to start a visit to Germany on Saturday, the last stop of his first overseas trip after he took office. The fact that Germany is the the only European Union (EU) member included in Li's ...
Fri, 24 May 2013 04:55:54 -0700
Germany suddenly finds itself in the unusual position of being uber cool, and that is in no small part thanks to the first all-German European Champions League final on Saturday, when Bayern Munich takes on Borussia Dortmund at Wembley Stadium, the ...
Washington Post (blog)
Thu, 23 May 2013 14:00:27 -0700
Despite those much-publicized cases, the BBC poll found that 59 percent of respondents called Germany's impact on the world “mostly positive,” versus 45 percent for the U.S., which falls around the middle of the 22 tracked countries, and 15 percent for ...
Yahoo! Eurosport UK (blog)
Yahoo! Eurosport UK (blog)
Fri, 24 May 2013 23:47:14 -0700
Saturday's Champions League final, though, is decisively Germany's. After those monumental defeats of Real Madrid and Barcelona in the semi-finals it is the crests of Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich that adorn the huge canvas wraps cloaking the ...
Sat, 25 May 2013 05:30:54 -0700
Spiegel Online had earlier reported that Germany's Federal Criminal Police (BKA) had informed state and federal officials that terrorist organisations may be planning to target such events. "Germany has stood in the cross hairs of international ...
Thu, 23 May 2013 21:47:11 -0700
A young John F. Kennedy thought fascism was the right system for Germany, a new book that reviews the late president's travel diaries from his trip to Germany pre-World War II divulges. The new revelations are found in “John F. Kennedy — Among the ...
Wall Street Journal
Fri, 24 May 2013 09:11:21 -0700
BERLIN—Resentment at rising energy costs resulting from Germany's drive into renewables has already become an issue in the run-up to federal elections. But now Chancellor Angela Merkel is also fielding international criticism as the International ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Germany with people all over the world in our discussions.